Radio Islam logo

Zionism         Judaism         Jewish Power         Revisionism         Islam         About         Home

Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem



Among the milder methods of mistreatment of Palestinians is the system of "town arrest" instituted in recent years. But the infliction of town arrest orders is reminiscent of the Nazi treatment of the Jews. Nazi war criminal Reinhardt Heydrich re-created the ghetto system for Jews, which had not existed in Europe since the Middle Ages, "forbidding Jews to enter certain districts of a city altogether," and compelling them to stay within the confines of a certain section of a town. (1)

That the institutionalization of a town arrest system as a permanent fixture of the Zionist regime shares the odiousness of the Nazis' institutionalization of the ghetto system makes them both guilty under international criminal law.

Former West Jerusalem Deputy Mayor Meron Benvenisti has argued that the Military Government possesses "unlimited powers" and faces "almost no checks and balances" in its operations. His thesis is that the Israeli legislative enactments, judicial charges and administrative arrangements in the occupied territories have created a system of government that bypasses not only the Geneva Conventions but also the Israeli High Court of Justice, which has consistently ruled that the Military Government is limited to such changes under occupation as are required for the maintenance of law and order, changes which must be "intrinsically temporary ." (2)

But the Zionist institution of a town arrest system, forcing individual Palestinians to live under Nazi-style ghetto rules, is not strange in the Zionist state, where a life sentence for political offenders is 99 years, while for common criminals a life sentence is but 23 years.

Amnesty International has done a thorough study of the Zionist town arrest system. The objective documentation shows the Zionists to be worthy successors, or more properly, unworthy successors to their Nazi forerunners. The only difference is that the "marked Palestinian does not have to wear a yellow Star of David on his sleeve. But his identity card serves the same purpose. Amnesty International published a report in 1984 about town arrests of Palestinians. The following is an extract from that report (3):


Up until 1979, town arrest orders had rarely been used. Since the beginning of 1980, according to Amnesty International's information, at least 148 people have been issued with town arrest orders: 93 from the West Bank, 24 from Israel proper, 13 from the Gaza Strip, 9 from Jerusalem and 9 from the Golan Heights. An average of 66 people are under town arrest every year.

Those affected by town arrest orders have been Palestinians from Israel and the Occupied Territories. Most are political activists opposed to the Israeli occupation, who are outspoken in their criticism of Israeli policies and in their support for the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). They have included mayors (who were dismissed from office in 1981/2), journalists, doctors, lawyers, trade unionists, teachers, writers and students (many of them members of university student councils). In Israel they have included members of the Israeli Communist Party, the National Progressive Movement, and Abna'al-Balad (Sons of the Village); in the Occupied Territories most are alleged by the authorities to be members of, or activists for, various factions of the Palestine Liberation Organization, such as A1 Fatah, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), or the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP).

Written permission from the military commander is needed before a person can leave the designated area. This can be difficult to get and has frequently been refused. As a result, people under town arrest have faced difficulties in carrying out their work or study effectively, if their place of restriction is other than their place of work or study; in some cases people have simply been unable to carry on their work or study at all; they may be unable to continue their nonviolent political activities, or at least be unable to attend political or professional meetings or conferences elsewhere in Israel, or the Occupied Territories, or abroad; they may face difficulties or long delays in getting adequate medical treatment if this is not available in their home town; and they may find their family and social life severely disrupted.

Although town arrest orders may only be issued when they are deemed by the military authorities to be essential for reasons of security, Amnesty International believes that the curtailment of the freedom of movement of these people is in many cases a punishment for their non-violent political activity. Amnesty International is also concerned that they are physically restricted without being formally charged or brought before a court of law.


Town arrest orders are imposed by the Regional Military Commander (and on occasion by the Defence Minister) "for the protection of public security, defending the region and public order." They are issued, in Israel proper, (i.e., pre-1967 borders) in accordance with Articles 108- 110 of the Defence (Emergency) Regulations (DER) of 1945, which were introduced during the British Mandate and incorporated into the Israeli legal system. In the Occupied Territories, the Defence (Emergency) Regulations were "revalidated" by a series of military orders, called Security Provision Orders. Articles 84-86 of Security Provision Order 378 of 1970 deals with restriction orders and orders of surveillance. This legislation enables the military authorities to restrict individuals to a particular village, town or district, place them under house arrest, impose limitations on their travel and require them to fulfil official formalities such as periodic registering.

Most frequently used is town arrest, whereby individuals are confined during the day to their town or village of residence, which they are forbidden to leave without written permission from the military authorities, and to their homes by night, usually between sunset and sunrise. In some cases, people may be restricted to their town or village of birth, and not the town in which they are currently living and working. Restricted persons arc almost always required to report once, twice or three times a day (rarely weekly) to a local police station.

There is no upper limit on the duration of the town arrest orders. Town arrest orders are issued for an initial period of three months, more commonly six months, and in a few cases have been issued for one year. The majority of orders are renewed, some repeatedly, and Amnesty International knows of at least 24 persons who have been under town arrest for more than two years consecutively, and 6 of them for 4 years.

The Regional Commander issuing the order is under no obligation to specify the nature of an alleged offence. In practice neither the restricted person nor hisher lawyer is given the full details of the reason for the order.


Amnesty International is concerned that the law gives power of restriction which is very broadly defined and makes no distinction between violent and non-violent political behaviour. Any behaviour that was hostile to the Israeli authorities or their policy could, in the circumstancesof Israel and the Occupied Territories, be qualified as a threat to "public security" or "public order." Amnesty International is concerned, therefore, that people may have been restricted on account of the non-violent exercise of their right to freedom of opinion and expression, and as such may be prisoners of conscience under Article 1 (a) of Amnesty International's statute which states that its aim is to work "irrespective of political considerations ... towards the release of and providing assistance to persons who are imprisoned, detained or otherwise physically restricted by reason of their political, religious or other conscientiously held beliefs or by reason of their ethnic origin, sex, colouror language, provided that they have not used or advocated violence."

Amnesty International is concerned that article 78 of the Fourth Geneva Convention should not be abused to justify the restriction of people for the non-violent exercise of their right to freedom of opinion and expression. The abuse Israel makes of Article 78 is also illustrated by the fact that it is invoked to justify restrictions not only in the Occupied Territories but in Israel proper.

Amnesty International considers that no one should be deprived of their liberty without being informed of the reasons for it at the time of the imposition of the restriction order.

Amnesty International believes that the Israeli appeals machinery does not adequately provide restricted persons with the opportunity to challenge the legality of the order or refute the evidence against them. In general restricted persons are not given the full and precise reasons for the order even after appealing to the Appeals Committee or the High Court, reasons of security always being given for not revealing such information to the individual concerned. In the few cases where reasons have been provided, the evidence upon which the allegations were based was not produced, reasons of security again being given. Without such information it is impossible for a person to effectively challenge the claims of the military that the order is justified for reasons of security.

Very few restricted people have succeeded in getting their order lifted as a result of going to the Appeals Committee or High Court. Amnesty International knows of a very few cases where this has happened following a recommendation from the Appeals Committee or a compromise reached at the High Court; but Amnesty International also knows of cases where such recommendations have been ignored by the military authorities. In some cases restriction orders have been lifted just before a High Court appeals hearing.

In general, the High Court will not interfere in matters concerning the military authorities, except where it can be proved that the order was not issued "with due caution and with specific attention to the observance of the precondition of justifying its exercise" and this is very difficult to do.

The authorities have not satisfactorily explained why full details of the reasons for the restrictions cannot be made known to the individual concerned, or the lawyer, even if the sources of such information cannot be disclosed for security reasons.


These four cases are representative of the cases of town arrest that Amnesty International is investigating.

Radwan Abu Ayysh

Radwan Abu Ayyash, aged 34, lives in Ramallah in the West Bank, but works as a journalist in East Jerusalem. He is the managing editor of A/ Awdah (The Return), a weekly political magazine, editor of the Palestine Press Service and Vice President of the Association of Arab (i.e. Palestinian) journalists. He is married with 3 children.

On 24 June, 1984 he was served with a 6-month restriction order confining him to his hometown of Ramallah. He has to report every day at 11 a.m. to the police station.

He was served with the restriction order following his attempts to travel to the United States as a guest of the United States Information Service, along with 40 other journalists from around the world, to cover the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco. (On 14 June he had tried to go to Amman (in Jordan) but had been turned back at the Allenby Bridge, He had then tried to obtain a laisser passer in order to leave from Lod Airport in Israel but had been unable to get one because of a strike by the officials responsible.)

As aresult of the restriction order, Radwan Abu Ayyash's work as managing editor of A1 Awdah has been severely hampered, since he cannot travel to his office in East Jerusalem. He also says that "the order has effective1 y severed my ties to family relations and friends, most of whom live in the Nablus area."

The restriction order states that it was issued because it was "necessary for security reasons and because he is a prominent PLO activist in this area, to the extent that he is working toachieve the aims of this organization and has secret activities against the State."

Radwan Abu Ayyash, however, says, "These charges are completely false and untrue. 1 am a Palestinian journalist who tries to express the mood and real feelings of his people. the Palestinians, no more and no less than this .... I am a Palestinian journalist who advocates negotiations and peace. I have worked hard towards the realisation of these ideals .... it is clear to me that the motive behind the town arrest has little to do with 'security' considerations, but is instead part of a general policy by the Israeli government aimed at isolating Palestinian journalists from American and other journalists."

In July 1982 Radwan Abu Ayyash was arrested while travelling from Ramallah to Jerusalem and questioned about a booklet in his possession entitled The Palestinian Journalist, which describes the activities of the Union of Arab Journalists and their problems in the Occupied Territories. While it was legal to possess the book in Jerusalem, it was illegal in the Occupied Territories since no permit had been obtained for its distribution there. Radwan Abu Ayyash was interrogated at Ramallah police station and asked to sign a confession that he supported the PLO, had published and distributed illegal material, and had attacked military censorship. He refused to do so, denying these accusations. In December 1982 he was tried and fined 10,000 Israeli Shekels (I.S.) and given a three month prison sentence suspended for 3 years.

Sami Muhammad Salim Al-Kilani

Sami Kilani, aged 31, is a lecturer in physics at A1 Najah University in Nablus (on the West Bank) and a writer of poetry and short stories. In January 1983 he was issued with a restriction order confining him to his family's home in Ya'bad, a village in the district of Jenin. The order was renewed for the third time in June 1984. At first he had to sign in at Jenin police station every day at noon. Between December 1983 and June 1984 he was obliged to report once a week at Tubas, a village 30 or 40 kilometres from Ya'bad (this village is difficult to get to because there is no direct transportation). Since he received his last restriction order, in June 1984, he has again to report daily to Jenin police station.

Being under town arrest has affected Sami Kilani's working and family life - he is unable to carry on his university work, and his wife and child live apart from him during the week because his wife works as a teacher in Nablus.

An appeal to the Appeal Committee in April 1984 for the order to be cancelled or at least transferred to Nablus was rejected. At the hearing Sami Kilani was told that the reason for his restriction was that he was dangerous to the security of the public due to his activity of incitement, but the evidence could not be revealed because it was secret. The lawyer is planning to appeal again.

His political activity and writing has led to frequent arrests and restrictions. In December 1977 he was sentenced to 3 years' imprisonment for membership in the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (a faction of the PLO), setting up a local branch of the organization, recruiting others, and attempting to influence public opinion by distributing leaflets calling for people to demonstrate against President Sadat's visit to Jerusalem. He was interrogated twice about a collection of short stories he published in June 198 1 ; he was refused permission in August 1981 "for security reasons" to carry out post-graduate studies in Turkey; he was detained for 18 days in April 1982 for incitement but was not charged or tried; his family home in Ya'bad was raided by the police and banned books were confiscated. On 24 February 1983, while under town arrest, he was charged with incitement against the Israeli authorities on account of a book of his published poetry. This contains a poem about a Palestinian hero called Izz Addin Al-Qassim who fought against the British during the Mandate period. According to the charges, the poem was allegorical and incited against the State of Israel. Sami Kilani was finally acquitted of this charge on 11 January 1984.

Walid Zaqut

Walid Zaqut, aged 23, from Beach Camp in Gaza, is a first year student at the college of Business Administration at Bir Zeit University (BZU) on the West Bank.

On 23 February 1984 Walid Zaqut was issued with a six month restriction order confining him to the town of Gaza during the day and to his home at night, and requiring him to report to the local police every day. No reason was given for the restriction order at the time it was issued.

Walid Zaqut went to the Appeals Committee to request the reasons for the order, a change of location to Bir Zeit so that he could continue his studies, and be near Ramallah where a specialist had been treating him for a stomach ailment.

The Appeals Committee, which met in March and May 1984, suggested that Walid Zaqut continue his studies at Gaza Islamic University (GIU), and recommended, without consulting his medical records, that his medical treatment could be transferred to Gaza. Walid Zaqut, however, did not accept the Committee's suggestion about his studies on the grounds that his year's credit at BZU would not be recognized at GIU, that the standard of his course at BZU was higher and this was important for admission to a higher degree programme after graduation.

Walid Zaqut's lawyer filed a writ for a hearing at the High Court. Two days before the date scheduled for the court hearing, 12 July 1984, the lawyer received a list of reasons for the town arrest order. These included the allegations that Walid Zaqut had joined the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) while abroad in August 1980, that he had painted slogans against the 1979 Camp David agreement in August 1982, and distributed an illegal magazine; that in January 1983 he had represented the DFLP in negotiations between students at BZU, that in December 1983 he had stood for election to BZU Student Council, and that he was the leader of the DFLP students at BZU.

A postponement of the High Court hearing was granted so that Walid Zaqut lawyer could prepare an affidavit refuting the allegations against him and stating that in August 1980 Walid Zaqut was in Gaza and not abroad; that he was not a member of the DFLP (Walid Zaqut had been arrested on 14 October 1982 accused of membership of the DFLP but had been released without charge on 5 March 1983); that he had not taken part in any discussion at BZU in January 1983 because he was in prison, and that he had never stood for election to the Student Council. Walid Zaqut's case at the High Court is continuing.

Walid Zaqut's restriction order expired on 22 August 1984 and a new order was issued on 1 September 1984.

Umar Radwan Sa'id

'Umar Sa'id, aged 24, lives in Kafr Kana near the town of Nazareth in the Galilee. As a student of biochemistry at Beersheba University he was an active member of the National Progressive Front. As a result of his political activities at University he was placed under town arrest from July to December 1980. (He was restricted to his village of Kafr Kana but was given permission to take his exams at the university.)

He graduated in October 1982 and in December 1982 he was again put under town arrest, and the order has been renewed every 6 months since then, the last time in June 1984. He has to report to the police station twice a day at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (although earlier it had been once a day). He has been arrested on several occasions for having violated the order, or for not having reported to the police station on time, and fined or given a suspended sentence.

'Umar Sa'id appealed both in 1983 and 1984 for achange in location of the order to enable him to do post-graduate studies in Haifa or Jerusalem, so far unsuccessfully. In 1984 his lawyer submitted a petition to the High Court for the reasons for the order. Thc authorities have given as reasons for the order 'Umar Sa'id'spolitical views, which, they claim, amount to incitement to violence. 'Umar Sa'id in turn has submitted an affidavit refuting such allegations. No date has yet been set for the High Court hearing of the petition.


Muhammad Qasim 'Ali Abu Harb, 63, a farmer from the village of Shuyukh, near Hebron, was restricted to the town of Shuyukh from 1 October 1978 - 198213 (exact date unknown).

Ibtisam Muhammad 'Abd Gharaiba, 28. a woman from the village of Tammun, near Nablus, a student at al-Najah University and member of the Nablus Women's Union, was restricted to Tammun from 17 December. 1979 - February 1982.

Iman Yusif al-Khatib, 22, a woman and former student of Bethlehem University, was restricted to Bethlehem from December 1979.

Samia Mustafa, 30, a woman from Kufr Batir. She was working at the Maqassad Hospital in Jerusalem where she had been studying for a practical nursing diploma. She was restricted to 'Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem from December 1979. As a result of the order, Samia was. unable to continue working at the Maqassad hospital.

Miriam Ruhi al-Shakhshir, 36, a woman from Nablus, and student at al-Najah University. She served a ten-year prison sentence prior to her first restriction order. Charges not known. She was restricted to Nablus from December 1979 - mid-1981.

Iman Nabih al-Smadi, 28, a woman student at al-Najah University. from Balata refugee camp in Nablus, was restricted to Nablus from December 1979.

'Ali 'AM al-Rahman Jaradat, 28, a student at Bir &it University (BZU), was restricted to Sa'ir from March 1980 to September 1980.

Issa 'Abd al-Fattah Jaradat, 28. A worker, formerly sentenced to four months' imprisonment for membership of an illegal organization. He was restricted to Sa'ir from 11 March 1980 to 1 1 September 1980.

Wahid Kamil al-Hamdallah, 5 1, a former Mayor of Anabta (dismissed from his post in April 1982), member of the National Guidance Committee (now banned), was restricted to Anabta from 1 May 1980 -June 1984. He faced difficulties in obtaining permission to travel to Nablus and Jerusalem for hospital treatment. Appealed against the order on 27 March, 1984.

Dr. Azmi Salih al-Shu'aibi, 35, a dentist from al-Bireh. Member of al-Bireh municipal council member of National Guidance Committee (now banned), was restricted to al- Bireh from May 1980 - December 1981 (still restricted 31 August 1984). He has been arrested and detained 3 times during 1981/2 (9/11/81 - 14/2/82; 1/4/82 - 4/5/82; 7/7/82 - 23/8/82) and interrogated about his political opinions and activities but was never charged or tried. While restricted he has faced difficulties in obtaining permission to travel to Jerusalem for medical treatment.

Karim Hanna Khalaf, 46, a former Mayor of Ramallah, lawyer and member of National Guidance Committee. Member of BZU's Board of Trustees and member of the Higher Education Council, was restricted to Ramallah, then Jericho, from May 1980 - April 198 1 and 27 March 1982 - 29February 1984. In March I982 he was dismissed from his post as mayor for his opposition to the West Bank civilian administration, and transferred to Jericho under town arrest.

Siham Muhammad 'Abd al-Salam al-Barghuti, 35, a woman accountant, from al-Bireh, and member of Women's Action Committee in Ramallah, was restricted to al-Bireh from 3 June 1980 -February 1982. Arrested in February 1982 after violating her order and charged with membership of the DFLP. Tried on October 1982, sentenced to 2 1/2 years imprisonment in Ramleh prison. Released 27 August 1984.

Kamla Anwar al-Kurdi, 36, a woman pharmacist from al-Bireh. Secretary of Women's Action Committee in Ramallah, was restricted to al-Bireh from 3 June 1980 - December 1982.

Mahmud Ahmad Ziada, 28, from Hebron, deputy chairman of the Hotel and Catering Workers' Union in Hebron. On 17 June 1981 he was sentenced to six months on charges of membership of an illegal organization. He was restricted to Hebron from 17 June 1980 - 17 June 1981, and on 10 June 1983 the order was renewed through June 1984.

Badran Badr Jabir, 36, a librarian at Hebron University Graduates League, and member of the West Bank Journalists' Union. Formerly imprisoned on 2 occasions for a total of 4 years. Charges unknown. He was restricted to Hebron from 26 June 1980 through June 1984, the order having been renewed.

Hassan Shibli Hassan al-Barghuti, aged 32, a worker, President of the Hotel Workers' Union, from Ramallah, was restricted to al-Bireh from 15 July 1980 -(still restricted 31 August 1984).

Rev. Odeh George Rantisi. 46, an Anglican priest and Deputy Mayor of Ramallah, was restricted to Ramallah from July 1980 - June 1981.

Akram 'Abd al-Salam Haniyyeh, 3 1, a writer, editor of the East Jerusalem daily, ui-Sha'ab, and Chairman of the West Bank Journalists' Union. Member of the National Guidance Committee (now banned). He was restricted to Ramallah from 7 August 1980 - February 1983.

Samiha Salama Khalil, 60, a woman, President of the Family Rehabilitation Society in al-Bireh. Member of the administrative board of the Union of Charitable Societies in Jerusalem and Treasurer of the Higher Committee for the Fight Against Illiteracy and Education of Adults in the West Bank and Gaza. Member of National Guidance Committee (now banned). She was. restricted to al-Bireh from 7 August 1980 - 20 December 1982. Applied on several occasions for travel permits to: (a) visit her children in Amman (they were refused permission to enter the Occupied Territories); (b) to join her sick husband in Amman where he was undergoing hospital treatment. These requests were refused.

Ma'mun Musa al-Sayyid, 47, editor of the Arabic newspaper al-Sha'ab, published in East Jerusalem. Member of National Guidance Committee. He was restricted to Ramallah from August 1980 - February 1983.

Ibrahim 'Ali Sulaiman al-Tawil, 36, a chemist, Mayor of al-Bireh and member of National Guidance Committee, was restricted to al-Bireh from August 1980 - March 1982 and from August 1982 - 20 December 1982. On 18 March 1982 he was temporarily placed under house arrest following his dismissal from his post as mayor earlier that month for his opposition to the West Bank civilian administration.

Bashir 'Abd al-Karim al-Barghuti, 5 1, editor of the communist bi-weekly paper a/-Tali'a, published in East Jerusalem. Member of the National Guidance Committee. He was restricted to Deir Ghassana (village of birth), later al- Bireh,from August 1980-20December 1982,Theauthorities told Amnesty International that his restriction was because of his activities as a member of the National Guidance Committee and other actions "which we cannot mention for security reasons."

Adil Ihrahim Yusuf Ghanim, 63, a construction worker, member of the Nablus municipal council. General Secretary of the General Federation of Trade Unions in the West Bank and member of National Guidance Committee (now banned). Restricted to Nablus from 1 November 1980 - 1 May 1981.

Khalid 'Awad 'Alawna, 44, a fanner, member of National Guidance Committee, former Mayor of Kabatia, was restricted to Kabatia from 3 1 November 1980 - 31 October 1981.

George Yusuf Salim Hazbun, 4 1, Deputy Mayor of Bethlehem. Chairman of the Bethlehem Federation of Unions and member of its Executive Committee. He was restricted to Bethlehem from 1 December 1980 - 24 March 1981.

Ahmad Ibrahim al-Natsha was restricted to Hebron from December 1980 - ? No longer restricted. (Order probably lifted in 1982).

Mahmud Raji Hassan Zahama, 36, Imam of the Jenin Mosque, was restricted to Jenin from 198 1 - 1982 (exact dates unknown).

Gazi Kamal Abu Kishk, 25, from Nablus, joumalist/publisher and member of the West Bank Journalists' Union, was restricted to Nablus from 21 April 1981 - 8 August 1981.

Ghassan Walid al-Shak'a, 41, a lawyer from Nablus. Served a 7-month prison sentence before being restricted to Nablus from 18/25 June 1981 - (order renewed) July 1984. He was released from prison shortly before he was restricted.

Nasruddin Muhammad 'Ahd al-Nasir al-Sha'ir, 22, from the village of Sabastia, Nablus district, student and head of Students' Council at al-Najah University, was restricted to Nablus from 18 August 1981 - January 1983.

Ribha Talab al-Aruri, 25, a woman student from 'Arura, representative of the Artistic Affairs Committee of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to 'Arurafrom 911 1 November 1981 - 9 May 1982. Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 1981.

Ghassan Muhammad Sulaiman Jarar, 27, from Jenin, sociology student and representative of the Cafeteria Committee of BZU Students' Council as a 4th-year student, was restricted to Jenin from 911 1 November 1981 - 9 May 1982 (reimposed on 18 July 1984). Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 198 1. The order was imposed the day before final examinations.

Laila Fa'iq Mir'i, 23, a woman student from ienin, and representative of the Social Affairs Committee of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to Jenin from 9/11 November 1981 - 9 May 1982 (reimposed 9 May 1982 -March 1983). Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 1981.

Rarnzi Anis Rihan, 43, from Nablus, student and Vice President of BZU, West Bank, was restricted to Nablus from 911 1 November 198 1 - May 1982. Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 1981.

Bassam Ahmad al-Salhi, 23, from al-Bireh, student and representative of the Cultural Affairs Committee of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to al-Bireh from 911 1 November 1981 - 9 May 1982. Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 1981.

Nazhat Mansur Ya'quh Shahin, aged 29, a woman student from 'Ain 'Arik, representative of the Voluntary Committee of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to 'Ain 'Arik from 11 November 1981 - ? No longer restricted (order probably lifted during 1982). Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU on 4 November 1981.

Mufid Yusuf 'Abd Rabba, 29, from Tulkarm, student and head of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to Tulkarm from 11 November 1981 - 9 May 1982. Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU.

'Issam 'Abdallah al-'Aruri, 25, from 'Arura, student and representative of the Financial Committee of BZU Students' Council, was restricted to 'Arura from 11 November - 9 May 1982. Restricted shortly after the closure of BZU.

Nassuh 'Abbas Ibrahim, 39, teacher and shaikh from village of Ramin, near Tulkarm, was restricted to Ramin from 7 January 1982 - ? No longer restricted (order probably lifted in 1983.

Muhammad Musa 'Atiya a1 Manasra, 33, from Wadi Fukin, but had lived in Bethlehem for 30 years where he worked as a journalist for the communist bi-weekly al-Tali'a, a member of the General Federation of Trade Unions in the West Bank. He was restricted to Wadi Fukin (villageof birth), and Bethlehem (after January 1983) from 7 January 1982 through June 1984, when the order was renewed. While restricted to Wadi Fukin he was unable to find work. Applied several times for permission tomove toBethlehem which was granted only in Jan. 1983. He decided to move to Bethlehem regardless in 1982 and was arrested on several occasions and detained for short periods for violating the order. Because his restriction still made it difficult to work as a journalist, he enrolled as a student at Bethlehem University.

Ali 'Abdallah Abu Hilal, 28, from the village of Ahu Dis in district of Jerusalem. Secretary of Abu Dis' Workers Union. Was restricted to Abu Dis from 15 February 1982 (still restricted in August 1984). Arrested 25 August for violating restriction order and for possession of inciting material. On various occasions when he reported to Bethlehem police station, he was detained at the station several hours at a time while his house was being searched. The order prevented him from carrying out his union activity (Abu Dis Union represents workers from three villages and as union secretary he is required to travel between them), and from representing his union at a meeting of the General Federation of Trade Unions in Nablus.

Muhammad Musa 'Amru, 60, Mayor of the town of Dura, was restricted to Dura from 17 February 1982 - 24 February 1982.


Go to part 2


Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem
By Issa Nakhleh

Return to Table of Contents