Radio Islam logo

Zionism         Judaism         Jewish Power         Revisionism         Islam         About         Home

Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem





"In Jabalia camp, Maysar Mohamed Reiman said that her husband, Abdul Rauf Reiman, 32, was murdered Tuesday, January 26, when the Israeli army forced him to lower the Palestinian flag off the electricity lines in Jabalia camp. Abdul Rauf Reiman died instantly when he was hit by a strong electric current.

"In Al Breij camp the Israeli army ordered camp residents to leave their houses at 1:00 a.m. and kept them in detention until 4:a.m. Israeli soldiers threatened to break their bones if they continued demonstrating. The army sealed off the three entrances to the camp." (76)


Although Zionist propaganda tried to present the actions of the occupation as necessary police work to restore order, the true intent soon leaked out. The Israeli newspaper Hadashot printed an interview with a 20 year-old Israeli soldier who admitted:

"We received our orders to knock at the doors, enter the houses, and evacuate all the men, and especially to beat up the young men. The matter was not a personal initiative that we undertook, but that of following orders we received from our commander and his assistant. The most violent scenes were happening in the detention centers where Israeli soldiers unleashed their clubs on kneeling Palestinian Arabs." (77)

The testimony of this soldier was confirmed in an admission by an Israeli officer published on January 28, 1988 in Maariv:

"I issued strict orders to soldiers to attack Arab demonstrators and beat them until they spilled their blood and their bones were broken. We had to find sadistic soldiers to do this dirty work." (78)

The military commentator for Haaretz, Zeev Schiff, commented:

"Israeli soldiers attack citizens in their homes, beat them severely and even break the arms and legs of women and elderly people. This is a criminal act which cannot be forgiven. It is a brutal oppression from the side of Israeli society which will increase hatred and animosity and nurture feelings for revenge." (79)


Even the American mass media, which had once slavishly white-washed Israeli practices, could not ignore the mass brutality of the Israeli attempts to suppress the Intafada. When they tried to report the news objectively, they, too, became the victims of violence perpetrated by their erstwhile Zionist friends. "On January 28th Israeli soldiers beat up a CBS television crew in Gaza while they were taking pictures of Israeli soldiers beating a Palestinian youth. Soldiers of the Golani Brigade kicked the American television network newsmen and beat them with their fists. The soldiers also destroyed some CBS equipment." (80)

It is obvious that the Zionists did not want eyewitnesses to the escalation of their arbitrary violence directed especially at Palestinian refugee camps.


"Israeli forces escalated their 'beat and destroy' policy which had been sanctioned in the last few weeks by Yitzhak Rabin, Minister of Defence, and is directed against Palestinians in the occupied territories.

"The Israeli army imposed military siege on the refugee camps and evacuated all residents between 15-45 years of age. Their soldiers burst into the houses and conducted imaginary search operations, messing up the contents of the houses and breaking doors and windows. These inhuman practices continued until 3:00 a.m.. These actions by Israeli soldiers caused injuries to more than 60 residents who were transferred to several hospitals." (81)


On January 29 "Israeli soldiers kidnapped four Palestinian youths in the Qalandia refugee camp and took them to an unknown destination. One of the four, Rayed Muteir, age 20, was found 15 kilometers from the camp unconscious and suffering from bruises and wounds all over his body. Khaed Abu Shalbak, 20, was found 35 kilometers from the camp, suffering from broken limbs and bruises all over his body." (82)

On February 1, "two more Palestinians were killed by Israeli soldiers in the town of Anabta in the West Bank. They were Moayed Al Shaar, age 2 1, and Morad Hamad Allah, age 17. At least 25 other Palestinians were wounded by live bullets fired by Israeli soldiers in the West Bank." (83)

Also on February 1, "in Jerusalem, violent clashes erupted between demonstrators and Israeli soldiers. Palestinian youths closed Salah Eddin Street with barricades, and in the old city youths stoned army vehicles, placed barricades, burned tires and displayed Palestinian flags.

"In Qalqilya a complete commercial strike continued for the 29th consecutive day and demonstrations erupted in the center of the city and Palestinian flags were hoisted. Violent clashes broke out with Israeli forces, which resulted in breaking the glass of 20 military and civilian Israeli cars and the wounding of four settlers. One Jewish settler intended to crush one youth with his car, resulting in the youth's sustaining wounds. He was taken by a military vehicle to an unknown destination. The youth is 16 year-old lyad Shoieb.

"In Jabalia camp six residents were injured by Israeli soldiers. Firyal Ramadan Al Kurd, age 25, had a miscarriage after she had been beaten and tortured. A 3 year old child, Mohamad Abu Zastari was also injured." (84)


"On February 2, an 8 year old child from Qalqilya, Bahaa Heij was attacked by Israeli soldiers who unleashed their clubs on his frail body, beating him up. The 8 year old was charged with throwing rocks at Israeli soldiers." (85)

Acts of violence by Israeli soldiers against inhabitants of 'Bani Naiem village resulted in wounds caused by rubber bullets to five more residents, including a 19 year old girl, Fadwa Al Wahah.

"On February 2, demonstrations erupted in Saier, Samoa, Al Shuyoukh, Dora and Dahiriya in which demonstrators raised the Palestinian flag and closed the streets with barricades and burning tires.

"Two teenagers from Al Faraa camp near Nablus were injured severely when they were beaten by Israeli soldiers.


"Israeli soldiers burst into the house of Ahmed Khaled from Al Ein camp and beat him and his wife severely. When one of their sons attempted to defend his elderly parents, Israeli soldiers fired live bullets at him, wounding him in the leg. They broke the head and arms of still another son of the couple.

An infant, one and a half years old, was in serious condition because of Israeli tear gas which had entered his lungs.


"Israeli bulldozers demolished tens of Palestinian cars which were legally parked along the public highway in Al Ein camp, and Israeli soldiers attacked two doctors from the Palestine Red Crescent Society with clubs and sticks. "In Bethlehem Jewish settlers kidnapped three young Palestinians, Nasser Alqam, 14, Issa Alqam, 13, and Abdul Karim Mousa, 1 2," (86)

"Also on February 2, Israeli forces attempted to disrupt the commercial strike in Ramallah and Al Bireh by destroying the doors and windows of shops. Palestinian youths responded in Al Manara Square of Ramallah by throwing stones at Israeli soldiers.

"In Qalandia camp Dr. Munther Al Sharif, a doctor at the UNRWA clinic, was wounded by an Israeli bullet in his hand. Nurse Rashid Nasser received several wounds, and Latifa Hammad, age 70, was injured by a rubber bullet in her back. "In Jerusalem Israeli soldiers burst into a number of homes in the Al Thawri Quarter and beat up 14 Palestinian youths. "In the Gaza Strip demonstrations were continuing in most areas. Israeli soldiers used live ammunition and tear gas in attempts to quell the demonstrations." (87)

'Women and children were among those admitted to Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza as a result of beatings by Israeli soldiers. Five were from the same family." (88)


"On February 3, Israel announced the arrest of Sheikh Hijazi Barbar, Al Azhar Mosque's preacher in Gaza. He was ordered to be detained administratively for six months.


"A 45 year-old professor from Ramallah, Dr. Samir Shihadeh, was arrested on February 2 by Israeli authorities. Dr. Shihadeh is employed as a lecturer in Beir Zeit university. He suffers from a heart ailment."89


"On February 3 a three months-old infant, Maisa Aouni, was admitted to Tulkarem Hospital suffering from the effects of tear gas canisters used by Israeli soldiers against demonstrators.

"In Qalqilya Weam Abdul Rahim Masoud had a miscarriage as a result of Israeli tear gas. She was five months pregnant.

"On February 3, 15 Palestinians were wounded in beatings by soldiers in Qalqilya." (90)


"In Nablus Israeli soldiers committed attacks and acts of vandalism in hospitals and mosques. Israeli soldiers stoned the Women's Union Hospital for more than half an hour, breaking its windows. Some of the windows in Al Nasr Mosque were broken by stones thrown by Israeli soldiers." (91)


Meanwhile, at the same time that they were physically terrorizing the Palestinian populace throughout the West Bank and Gaza, the Zionists relentlessly continued the piecemeal confiscation of Palestinian lands. "On February 2 Israeli authorities confiscated 100 dunums of land in the village of Irtass, near Bethlehem. This land belongs to Nasri Rabai'ah.


"Reuters correspondent in Gaza, Taher Shreiteh, and his brother, were released February 3 after being arrested and beaten under interrogation by Israeli soldiers." (92)

"During the night of February 3-4, Ibrahim Mansour, age 21, was shot and killed by Israeli bullets during demonstrations which paralyzed the entire city of Tulkarem.

"In Balata refugee camp 20 year old Yousef Hannoun and 13 year-old Nasser Arafat were wounded by Israeli bullets.

"In the village of Silwad, located northeast of Ramallah, four more residents were injured as a result of Israeli soldiers firing live bullets at the residents. Jewish settlers also burst into the village late at night. The Israeli army detained seven youths.

"In Dora, near Hebron, a 7 year old child, Salim Mohamad Abu Haleel, was injured by Israeli bullets when a huge demonstration broke out in town that was dispersed by the Israeli army.


'Many Jewish settlers and Israeli soldiers burst at midnight into Yabad near Jenin. They began firing at residents and caused injuries to many people.


"In Ramallah employees of the Government Hospital conducted a sit-in to protest the Israeli army's brutal attacks, February 3, on four employees of the hospital who refused the army's orders to clean the barricades and the debris from the streets. The four hospital employees are Dr. Shawqi Harb, head of the Heart Surgery Department in the hospital, Dr. Mohamad Khalil, a heart specialist, and two nurses, Naaman Mostafa and Mohamad Naji." (93)

But even such attempts to abase and humiliate Palestinian health care professionals could not deter the participation of all sectors of the Palestinian population in the continuation of the Intafada.


On February 4, "Demonstrations continued in the cities of Bethlehem, Beit Jala and the neighboring villages and refugee camps which were witnessing a total commercial strike and where transportation came to a complete halt. Palestinian flags were hoisted, streets were closed with burning tires and Palestinian youths threw rocks and broken bottles at Israeli military vehicles.

"A molotov cocktail was discharged at an Israeli vehicle in Al Arroub village near Hebron, which broke the glass of the car.

"The general strike covered 17 towns and villages in the Hebron area, where more than 250,000 Palestinians live. Public transportation came to a halt and workers did not go to work inside Israel.

"A curfew continued to be imposed on Bani Naiem town for the fifth day in a row, and the Israeli army continued to burst into homes of residents, beating and oppressing the inhabitants.

"In Dora, which witnessed violent demonstrations in which 15 residents were injured by Israeli army bullets, the Israeli soldiers burst into a number of houses and detained scores of youth.

"In Al Samoo demonstrators totally burned an Israeli bus inside the town. The town witnessed violent clashes between residents and Israeli army and a curfew was imposed on the town.

"Demonstrations by students of Dar Al Tefl college broke out in Jerusalem. The Israeli army dispersed demonstrators by using tear gas, clubs and sticks and caused several injuries and broken limbs." (94)


"On February 4th, several dozen residents of Gaza received letters written in English from the fanatical Kach movement asking them to leave the Strip. The letters said the land was only for the Jews and that God had given it to them. It threatened killing if they do not leave the Strip." (95)

"On February 5, a massive demonstration began from Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem after the traditional Muslim Friday prayers. Palestinians raised the Palestinian flag and chanted national slogans and clashed with Israeli forces. The Israeli army arrested scores of Palestinian youth who stoned the Israeli soldiers in the streets of the old city of Jerusalem.

"Israeli soldiers attacked Muslim worshippers who demonstrated after Friday prayers in Al Omari Mosque in Gaza. There were also demonstrations in Al Shati (Beach) camp, Khan Yunis, Nusseirat camp and Al Breij refugee camps.

"In Jabalia camp residents clashed with Israeli forces with rocks. They set up barricades and burning tires in the streets. Three residents received injuries and were transferred to Al Ahli hospital. They were 30 year old Said Al Zeinati, 17 year old Aatef Abou Laban, and 34 year old Suheir Mansour.


"The city of Nablus was under military curfew for the 6th day. Curfew orders also affected all villages and refugee camps neighboring the largest West Bank city. Over 120,000 Palestinian Muslims were unable to attend the traditional Friday Muslim prayers in the city and area mosques because of the strict military regulations which were in effect in the city since last Sunday.

"Meanwhile four Palestinians were admitted to Al Ittihad hospital from Al Faraa refugee camp, after they had received several beatings by Israeli soldiers. They were: 12 year old Miriam a1 Sabei, 20 year old Khalil Ghandour, 22 year old Jihad Sarban, and 23 year old Najeh Subuh."


"In Dora two children were wounded by Israeli bullets, Saied Abu Hileil, age 14, in the thigh, and Salim Abu Hileil, age 7, in the leg. Israeli soldiers burst into dozens of houses attacking their residents. They broke the furniture and spoiled all food supplies.

"In Hebron Eid Jararat, an 18 year old, received a bullet in his stomach. In Al Dhahiriya four residents received several wounds after being beaten by Israeli army. They were taken to Al Maqased hospital in Jerusalem for treatment.

"In Halhul two youths were injured. The Israeli army arrested 11 more youths after it burst into several houses. In Qalqilya Israelis imposed curfews on several quarters of the city, and forced citizens between 15-35 years of age to gather in the public square until late hours of the night, while soldiers went into several houses and destroyed their contents." (96)


The persistence of the entire Palestinian population in its dedication to the Intafada despite the official Israeli violence being committed against them, so infuriated the fanatic Jewish settlers in the West Bank that they "went on a rampage, destroying tens of cars belonging to Arabs in Hebron and Halhul.

"Settlers burned a water pump which provided water to Anabta and attacked schools in the town, throwing rocks at students and destroying windows in the schools. "Kiryat Arba settlers demanded that the Israeli government expel the Palestinians of the village of Kufur Malke, near Ramallah, as an act of revenge." (97)


Public opinion polls in Israel showed how undemocratic and racist many Israelis actually are. "40% of the Israel public approves of the extremist positions of Kahane. 57% of the youth wanted Arabs in the occupied areas to be expelled. 38% were in favor of private Jewish vigilante associations." (98)


On February 8, the "Israeli army killed two more Palestinians and wounded about 261 residents through several means ranging from live and rubber bullets to beatings by clubs and sticks when massive demonstrations broke out all across the occupied territories.

"The Israeli army killed 25 year old Abdul Basset Mahmoud Abdallah from Kufur Qaddoum, located to the west of Nablus. He was hit with a bullet in his head. Killed also was 16 year old Iyyad Mohamed Aqel, from Al Breij refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, after he was beaten severely by Israeli soldiers. On Sunday February 7,15 year old Rami Al Aklouk from Deir Al Balah was killed by the same method.

"An 8 year old girl, Hebba Khalil Ahmad, from Al Amari camp near Ramallah, sustained wounds after she was clubbed by Israeli soldiers. Today and yesterday 36 residents were admitted to hospitals from Beit Fajjar village, 52 residents from Jabalia, 5 from Al Yamoun village, 9 from Al Seileh Al Harithiya, 2 from Jenin, 20 from Qalqilya and 15 from Ramallah. Most of these sustained injuries from Israeli army bullets, while the rest received blow after blow from the baseballsized clubs and sticks Israeli soldiers used against them. Gun butts were also frequently used against the Palestinians during the soldiers' raids on houses and residences after midnight." (99)


"On February 8 Israeli radio reported that Jewish settlers in Hebron went on a rampage during the night and caused a lot of destruction to scores of cars belonging to Palestinians. "On February 8 a Palestinian resident of Al Zaiton Quarter in Gaza was admitted to Al Ahali Hospital after he was injured by a bullet fired at him by an Israeli cab driver when he was sitting in front of his closed shop near Al Nasr cinema in Gaza." (100)

The Israeli army couldn't leave the death toll of Palestinian victims of Zionist terrorism on February 8th to mere civilian perpetrated crime. So "In Al Breij camp Israeli soldiers burst into houses late at night, beating the inhabitants. As a result, 16 year old Iyyad Mohamed Age1 died." (101)


On February 8, "the Israeli Medical Union issued a statement "commenting on the situation in the occupied territories, and said that the Israeli practices against the Palestinians are contradictory to the simplest human laws, and prove the fakery of Israeli intentions towards peace.

"The statement added that Israeli soldiers fired at the entrances of some hospitals and burst into them, clamped sieges and arrested some of the patients, and also prevented the ambulances from entering Palestinian villages where its residents were under fire and were injured. The Israeli soldiers also took the I.D. cards of doctors and prevented them from arriving at these places to help the injured, and that the Israeli army forced doctors to remove blocks, rocks and barricades from the streets." (102)


By February 9,1988 it became clear that a new, ominous element had been adopted by the Zionists in their attempts to suppress the Intifada. "The participation of Jewish settlers in attacking and killing Palestinians added a very dangerous element to the volatile situation. Attacks on many Palestinian communities under the Israeli occupation by these fanatic settlers was carried out under the watchful eyes of the regular Israeli army occupation forces.

"Scores of Palestinians sustained various injuries while Israeli soldiers and settlers vandalized Arab cars which were parked in the streets, and burst into many houses, among them the house of Zahriya Oweidat, 45 years old, who sustained broken arms and was joined by her three daughters who were also injured. They are 18 year-old Wafaa, 15 year-old Kifa, and 12 year-old Dunya.

"At 2:00 a.m. Jewish settlers invaded the town of Halhoul, and attacked residents. Violent clashes broke out between citizens and settlers. More than 50 residents received injuries and bruises, and 12 of them were sent to hospitals.

"At 10:30 p.m. on February 8, ambulances transferred the family of Jurea Mostafa from Balata camp to Al Ittihad hospital in Nablus. The family suffered from nausea and suffocation after a tear gas canister was thrown into their house while they were having dinner. The whole family of nine people was taken to the hospital, among them 9 year old child Dawlat Jumaa.

"In Al Jalazoun camp, settlers kidnapped Hakim Ghanam after the settlers fired tear gas canisters which cause numbness in the nervous system.

"Settlers burst into several homes and attacked the residents. They also fired live bullets at houses, destroyed water reservoirs, demolished furniture in houses and spoiled food supplies. They vandalized scores of cars.

"Jewish settlers, most of whom hold dual U.S. and Israeli citizenship, had kidnapped a number of Palestinian youths and led them to unknown places after they had beaten them severely and knocked them unconscious." (103)


Meanwhile, on February 9, the regular Israeli army continued their storm-trooper methods of trying to end the Intifada. For example,

"Mohammad Shaier, age 15, from Rafah, received a bullet in his leg, and 16 year old Marwa Joudeh received five rubber bullets in her stomach.

"A pregnant Palestinian woman, Fatima Harb, had a miscarriage from tear gas. She was nine months pregnant.

'Neimeh Ghazal, 35 years-old, from Al Shati camp, received a rubber bullet in her back.

"In Qalandia, the Israeli army arrested an 11 year-old child, Khalid Ahmed, and charged him with throwing rocks at the army." (104)


On February 10th another ominous note was added: evidence that the Israeli army was copying the death squad tactics so infamous in some Latin American countries. "The body of Majdi Mohammad Hashashon, age 25, from Al Shati refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, was found. The Israeli army arrested him on February 9 and drove him to an unknown destination. His body was found on the Gaza beach." (105)

"It was discovered that 10 year old child Shahir Jalal Al Dasouqi from Burqa had been killed while inside his home by a bullet in the head fired by a settler from the nearby Houah Jewish settlement.

"Ghalia Daaoura, a 38 year old mother of five children from Al Fawwar camp, received head wounds and bruises all over her body after she was beaten by Israeli soldiers with clubs and sticks.

"Israeli soldiers attacked scores of houses in the city of Qalqilya, breaking windows, destroying furniture, and vandalizing automobiles.

"The same happened in Jenin, where 1 1 residents received severe injuries. Khader Al Tarazi, age 17, from Al Rimal quarter in Gaza, died from beatings by Israeli soldiers following his arrest two days before." (106)

"In Nablus on February 12, the Israeli army killed two Palestinian youths and injured one seriously during massive demonstrations which erupted after Friday's prayers. The Israeli army killed 17 year old Bashar Al Masri, and 14 year old Geitan, and injured seriously 17 year old Mahmoud Attashan, who sustained a bullet in his back, which left half of his body paralyzed.

"The Israeli army opened fire to disperse demonstrations which broke out in the city where hundreds of residents took part, injuring scores of Palestinians with live bullets and tear gas canisters containing high quality mace which causes suffocation."


"The Israeli army attacked Al Ittihad hospital, beating up nurses, doctors and medical aides, and arresting three patients. Also Israeli soldiers attacked and beat up Palestinians who gathered in front of the hospital.

"On February 11 the Israeli army attacked and beat up nurses at Al Ittihad Hospital when they went towards Balata camp in order to treat patients. A nurse, 21 year old Iyyad Eshteiwi, sustained broken bones in his face and head, and was admitted to Al Ittihad Hospital. Khaled Mohamed Suleiman, a 26 year old from Balata received a bullet wound in his thigh and bruises all over his body. Among the injured admitted to Nablus Hospital was Moein Al Qassas, age 16, who received several bullets in his stomach."


"On February 12, Israeli soldiers fired many volleys of tear gas inside Al Abiad Mosque in Gaza city, causing many injuries to worshippers.

"Two members of the Knesset, Haika Grossman and Ron Cohen, reported that they had evidence of acts of brutality by the Israeli army against Arabs in the Halhul and Al Aroub areas. They reported that Israeli soldiers tied the hands of Palestinians and hit them with gun butts, causing injuries all over their bodies. Fifteen of these injured Palestinian youths were thrown into a valley full of human waste and garbage and left there." (107)


Day after day the sickening behavior of Israeli soldiers and settlers continued. Some examples of these crimes follow:

"Among the nine Palestinians hospitalized with fractured bones resulting from beatings by Israeli soldiers in Gaza was 12 year old lyyad Nasman, who received two broken elbows, and 13 year old Ziyad Al Hattab, who received a broken leg.

"Mohamad Deeb Hamdam, age 19, from Jabalia, was beaten with clubs by Israeli soldiers on February 16 and his severely injured body was tossed into a field.

"In Seira village near Ramallah, Jewish settlers and Israeli soldiers broke into thirty houses on February 16 and beat up their occupants. Jewish settlers at dawn attacked the Radidia Quarter in Nablus and set fire to many Arab automobiles and stores.

"In Jenin demonstrations broke out and Palestinian youths closed the main streets with burning tires and barricades and threw stones at Israeli military vehicles.

"In Nur Shams camp near Tulkarem Israeli soldiers burst into many houses and beat up their occupants.

"The Israeli army closed all West Bank and Gaza Strip schools, where over 300,000 Palestinian students attend their classes.

"Jews in the Al Qatmon Quarter of Jerusalem threw stones at Arab automobiles passing by, breaking their windows." (108)

"On February 17, still another Palestinian youth, Ismail Hassan Al Halaiqah, from Al Shioukh town, near Hebron, was murdered by Israeli soldiers firing live ammunition. Among the injured at the same time was Mohamad Ramadan, with a bullet in the stomach, Amneh Oweidhat, with a bullet in the back, and a 6 year old child from Saier who had broken limbs as a result of a beating by Israeli soldiers using sticks.

"Israeli soldiers and settlers destroyed 15 dunums of olive trees in Al Janebia and Ras Karkar, near Ramallah, bulldozing the trees.

"Israeli soldiers continued breaking into houses in the occupied territories on February 17, beating up their occupants. These incidents took place at the Al Shati camp in the Gaza Strip and Jenin in the West Bank." (109)


Israeli brutality was sickening to all neutral observers who witnessed it. Hadashot newspaper on February 17 quoted Torlo Anadi, Ambassador of Norway to Israel, as saying that the Israeli army's behavior in the West Bank and Gaza against the Palestinians resembles the Nazi army's behavior in 1940 when it occupied Norway. (110)


"General Ihud Barak, deputy Israeli army chief of staff, admitted that 53 Palestinians had been killed since December 9, and that hundreds of Palestinians had been wounded, while the number of Israeli soldiers who had been wounded had reached 100." (111)

'Israeli General Dan Shomron said that Israeli troops will stay in the West Bank and Gaza until the conflict ends in Israel's favor." (112)

"Israeli Police Minister Haim Barlev called for intensification of Israeli military presence in the occupied territories." (113)

But such blustering by the Zionists could not dampen the enthusiasm for the Palestinian national cause among the Palestinians, nor suppress the Intifada.

On February 18, "a five year-old Palestinian child, Amjad Abu Haleimeh, from Al Amarj camp, was injured in the head after a tear gas canister exploded near him. The bomblet was discharged by Israeli soldiers. A ten year old child, Sahar Al Malhi from Al Amari camp, was injured when Israeli soldiers threw a tear gas canister in the child's house. Both children were taken to Ramallah Government hospital for treatment. Also on February 18, Jewish settlers attempted unsuccessfully to kidnap a Palestinian woman who teaches at the vocational center in Hebron. She is 23 year old Rifqa Al Jawabreh from Beit Ummar, near Hebron."

Demonstrations continued throughout the West Bank and Gaza. "Israeli authorities cut off electricity in Balata refugee camp. Israeli soldiers, assisted by hordes of Jewish settlers, set up ambushes in the dark for the camp's residents, beating up such residents as they could catch.


"On February 18, Israeli radio reported that Israeli police had arrested a number of youths from 1948 Palestinian Arab- Israeli citizens because they were wearing golden chains with the map of Palestine around their necks. A police spokesman said that these chains are considered a form of solidarity with an organization hostile to Israel, and therefore should be confiscated.


"Also on February 18 Israeli defense minister Yitshak Rabin said to a closed meeting of Israeli unit officers engaged in the occupied territories that Israeli soldiers should attack demonstrators, beating them up when there is a need to do so in order to disperse demonstrations.

"It was reported that still another Palestinian was shot and killed the previous day, February 17, in the village of Shuyukh. The new martyr was Ismael Hussein Halayqa, age 26. Eight others were injured when soldiers of the Israeli army opened fire on demonstrators." (114)

On February 19, the 74th consecutive day of the Intifada, oppressive Israeli occupation measures directed at the inhabitants of the occupied territories continued.

"In Balata refugee camp, near Nablus, 42 year old Hind Hijazi received a rubber bullet in her face and another bullet in her hand, and 60 year old Sabiha Mustafareceived arubber bullet in her chest and another one in her hand."


"Al Jalazoun refugee camp, near Ramallah, is undergoing severe hardship after Israeli authorities disconnected electric power from the camp as punishment for the Palestinian resistance to occupation.

"In Dheisheh refugee camp, near Bethlehem, Jewish settlers from Kiryat Arba settlement fired their pistols toward the camp claiming that their cars were subjected to stone throwing."


Also "on February 19, Israeli soldiers attempted to quell massive demonstrations in Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Strip. Israeli army chief of staff General Dan Shomron was present in the camp to observe their performance.

"On the same day in Nablus in the West Bank Israeli forces burst into the Old City through a heavy cover of smoke emanating from tear gas canisters which had been discharged at demonstrators. The Israeli army utilized helicopters to drop the tear gas. Israeli Defense Minister Yitshak Rabin was present to observe their performance.

"On February 19, Knesset member Rafael Eitan called for the expulsion of all Palestinians who could be labeled instigators, with their families and children with them."


"Al Hamishar Hebrew daily reported on February 19th that the Israeli military police are still investigating the case of four Salem village youths who had been buried alive by Israeli soldiers. The four youths were laid down on the ground and covered with sand by bulldozers up to their necks." (115)


"On February 19, "Radio Israel reported that Yousef Havish, the Israeli District Attorney, ordered an indictment to be prepared against a Shin Bet agent suspected of the murder of Palestinian prisoner Awad Hamdan, age 23, during interrogation in July, 1987. Three Shin Bet officers were later detained for giving false information concerning his death during inquiries by a government committee formed to investigate Shin Bet methods." (116)


The daily tempo of Zionist barbarity, beatings and brutal slaying of Palestinians continued throughout February, 1988.

"On February 20, Israeli army bullets killed Abdallah Attal, age 18, from Kufur Neimeh in the Ramallah district, and a 12 year old child, Nasrallah Abdul Kader, from Tulkarem camp. On February 21, Israeli bullets killed three more Palestinians, Ragheb Abu Amara, age 24, from Nablus, Ahmad Sadug Abu Salhieh, age 60, from Nablus, and Kamal Mohamad Faris, age 24, from Deir Ammar camp near Ramallah.


"On February 22 it was revealed that directors of Government hospitals in the West Bank had met in the past week and sent a protest cable to Israeli defense minister Yitzhak Rabin, expressing their condemnation of the inhuman practices by the Israeli forces, which are in contradiction of human rights conventions, especially the frequent Israeli method and practice of forcefully entering the hospitals, and the method of firing live bullets and tear gas, something which caused an increase in the number of injuries and caused death to some of the patients."


On February 22 it was revealed that the Israeli occupying forces had adopted a new tactic to try and destroy the Intifada: forced starvation of refugee camp inhabitants. "Citizens of Al Amari camp, near Ramallah, were reported suffering from a shortage of food, especially infants' milk, as a result of the Israeli army's preventing the entry into the camp of any food or medical supplies. Similar reports emanated from Qalqilya." (117)


Interestingly, the long repressed Oriental Jewish population under Ashkenazim domination sent 150 Oriental Jews to demonstrate in front of Mejido security prison, asking an end to the Israeli occupation and demanding the release of Me'ir Amor, an Israeli officer detained for refusing to serve in the occupied territories. Oriental Jewish artist Yosi Sheeloh said the detention of Amor and his refusal to serve is an indication of the indignation of Eastern Jews at what is going on. He denied that Oriental Jews, who are Arab in language and culture, hate the Arabs as some in Israel claim. (118)


"On February 23, three more Palestinians were killed by the Israeli occupiers, among them a 13 year old child. Mahmoud Naama Houshieh from Al Yamoun village near Jenin. On the previous day the dead also included a 13 year old child, Rawda Lutfi Najeeb, from Baqa Al Sharqiah, near Tulkarem. "Disease was reported breaking out among children at Al Amari and Al Jalazoun refugee camps near Ramallah where the Israeli army prevented the supply of foodstuff. There was an accumulation of garbage and trash as well because of the Israeli army's preventing sanitation workers from entering either camp. In the village of Bani Naiom, near Hebron, Israeli soldiers broke into six houses, beating up their inhabitants."


"On February 23, Israeli Attorney General Yousef Harish admitted in a letter to the Israeli cabinet and Israeli defense minister Yitzhak Rabin, that the increase in complaints related to inhuman practices and punishment by the Israeli army against Palestinians in the occupied territories proves that these practices are not outside the realm of customary behavior, but they are a pattern which is being implemented by Israeli soldiers in the occupied territories."' (119)

Every day that the Intifada went on, the toll rose higher and higher. No drama could match that of a people who had finally decided that enough was enough, that being enslaved and deprived of their national identity could not go on, that liberty was more precious than life itself.

Palestinians were prepared to pay the price for liberty with their lives, and they did. Yet, some deaths were as if pointing out to the world that the Intifada was not just a political struggle, but much more, a struggle between primeval evil and justice. "On February 24, Mohamad Qasem, a mere four year old child from the town of Qabatia in the Jenin area was murdered in cold blood by Israeli army bullets when they callously opened fire on the townspeople, claiming that they were quelling disturbances. Among the wounded was another child, 1 1 year old Maysoun Zakarneh." (120)


"On February 24 a general commercial strike which covered all business, commerce and transportation facilities in the occupied territories took place. Almost all Palestinian citizens stayed inside their houses as an expression of condemnation of the Israeli occupation and oppressive practices.

On leaving his house, Jamal Al Samouni, age 20, of Nablus, was shot by Israeli soldiers with a bullet in the face. In the village of Kufur Al Labad near Tulkarem the Israeli soldiers conducted a search campaign, arresting a number of youths inside their homes." (121)


On February 25, "Demonstrations, protest marches, and violent clashes with Israeli occupation forces in the occupied territories marked the 86th day of the Intifada. Among the numerous victims on that day were 3 year old child Mahmoud Hashash of Nablus, wounded by an Israeli rubber bullet in his leg. Also wounded in the leg was a girl, Naiela Amin Mansour, age 14.

"In Yatta village near Hebron, a 13 year old boy, Amhad Khaled Abu Samra, was shot in the stomach with an Israeli bullet.

"In Jabalia camp 10 year old Rania Rizek was shot in her ear and 11 year old Mohamad Al Kahlout was shot in the hand."


"In Bani Naiem village near Hebron, 70 year old Omar Rashed Al Manasra had his limbs broken by Israeli soldiers, who also shot Fathia Methqal Abbad, 25, in her back with a rubber bullet.

*In Balata camp near Nablus, Latifa Al Najmi, age 30, received an Israeli bullet in her head." (122)


Meanwhile, "General Dan Shomron, Israeli army chief of staff, issued orders to all officers of the Israeli army in the West Bank and Gaza to use more force and to get more tough." (123) It seems that shooting women and children, and breaking the bones of old men, are not "tough" enough acts for Israeli soldiers.


Yet despite their suffering, the humanity and goodness of the Palestinian people was shown. "A number of Palestinian farmers in the Ghor Al Faraa region east of Nablus saved the life of an Israeli soldier when his jeep turned upside down in heavy water currents." (124)

Yes, in their humanity Palestinian farmers could save the life of an Israeli soldier in an automobile accident. But what humanity is there in Israeli soldiers' using durn dum bullets which "paralyzed the hand of an 18 year old girl in Gaza, Manal Hada, on the same day?" (125)

What humanity was shown by Israeli soldiers when "They fired volley after volley on citizens demonstrating in the West Bank? Two new martyrs were added, Sami Al Dayeh, age 14, from Nablus, and Issam Abu Khalifah, age 15, from Jenin." (126) Are not Palestinian Arab children also children in the eyes of the Israelis? Apparently not.

"On the night of February 25-26 Israeli soldiers, some 200 strong, broke into Al Ittihad Women's Hospital in Nablus, and beat up doctors, nurses and patients and destroyed much medical equipment."

Go to part 4


Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem
By Issa Nakhleh

Return to Table of Contents