Radio Islam logo

Zionism         Judaism         Jewish Power         Revisionism         Islam         About         Home

Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem





On December 22, 1987 Israeli military courts began a major, draconian escalation of penalties imposed upon Palestinians in an attempt to suppress the uprising. "Hussein Abu Khater, age 29, from Nuseirat refugee camp, was sentenced to jail for one year on charges that he participated in a demonstration. This was the first sentence of such severity imposed by an Israeli military court on a demonstrator. Previous sentences for such

a charge did not exceed two months in jail." (34) Simultaneously, Yitshak Shamir and Yitshak Rabin blustered threats to escalate violence against Palestinian demonstrators. Shamir stated that "order and security are the most important things" and Rabin threatened that his army would "use all measures to restore order even if this will mean harm to the reputation and name of Israel." (35)

As far as that reputation and name went, Amnon Danknar, Washington correspondent of Davar, a Hebrew newspaper, wrote:

"We can say that it is hard for Americans to understand how Israeli soldiers can point their guns at demonstrators who are mainly children and youngsters. It is hard for Americans to see what is happening when the Israeli army arrests youths and throws them on the ground and kicks them in their testicles and drags them to detention vehicles by their Yoel Marcus in Haaretz wrote: "There is no need to respond in force and barbarity to every demonstration and to every strike." (37)


"After closing Jabalia camp following a fierce demonstration, Israeli forces sealed the entrances with barbed wire fences.

"On December 23 tires were set on fire by demonstrators in Khan Yunis, a general strike took place in Jenin and a commercial strike was observed in Tulkarm. Many were arrested in Qalqilya, Jenin, Nablus and Gaza.

"Haaretz confirmed that Israeli army forces had begun using helicopters to disperse demonstrators by tossing out tear gas canisters at crowds.

"An Israeli military spokesman admitted in Hebron on December 23 that the occupation authorities had set up a new detention camp for demonstrators south of Hebron, because Far'a prison had become overcrowded." (38)


The bullets and jack-boots of Zionist storm troopers could no longer intimidate the indigenous population of Palestine. Tear gas and truncheons of the illegal Zionist occupiers could no longer deter Palestinians from unfurling their national flag over the soil which is rightfully and inalienably the Palestinian patrimony.

The massive civil disobedience and huge demonstrations of the Intifada showed the hand-writing on the wall for all to see. The Palestinian national cause was profoundly alive. The Palestinians actively asserted their sovereignty over their native land by all peaceful means at their command. The Palestinian national cause, which the Zionists had tried by all means to extinguish, showed itself to be inextinguishable. The Palestinian identity would not disappear through Zionist extermination.

Still not realizing the depth of the Palestinian uprising, the Zionist authorities frantically searched for alleged ringleaders of the revolt.39 They expelled some, but of course to no avail, because in an uprising like the Intifada leaders arise from the general populace, and as some become casualties they are instantly replaced by others prepared to fill their shoes.


On January 4, 1988 "Israeli occupation authorities ordered the expulsion from their homes of five Palestinians from the West Bank and four from the Gaza Strip:

1. Mohamad Adel, from Qalandia refugee camp. 2. Bashir Al Kheiri, from Al Bireh. 3. Jibril Al Rajoub, from Hebron. 4. Jamal Ibarah, from Qalqilya. 5. Hassan Mohamed Khader, from Balata camp. 6. Friej Al Kheiri, from Gaza. 7, Mohamed Samara, from Gaza. 8, Khalil Al Quqa, from Gaza. 9. Hassan Al Shaqra, from Khan Yunis.

"The Israeli occupation forces claimed that these nine Palestinians were the ringleaders in the continuing popular uprising against the Israeli occupation." (40)

"In Qalqilya, Palestinian women who were conducting a sit-in in the Chamber of Commerce Building to protest the expulsion of the nine Palestinians were joined by scores of youths. They stoned military vehicles attempting to disperse the demonstration, which continued until the Israeli army used tear gas." (41)

Riots continued in the Ar Ram area, north of Jerusalem because of the martyrdom on the previous day of a Palestinian girl, "Haniyah Ghazawneh, age 25, who had been killed by a bullet in her chest.

"Haniyeh had been killed by an Israeli bullet while standing at the doorstep of her home in Ar Ram. Her body was taken to Ramallah government hospital." (42)

Desperate to crush the Intifada, the Zionists tried every tactic to quash the spirit of the Palestinians, but to no avail. On January 3, 1988, "the Israeli military governor in Jabalia, in the Gaza Strip, forced the citizens to erase national slogans on walls and to remove Palestinian flags from electricity lines." (43) But the humiliation of being forced at gunpoint to remove the symbols of their national identity from their own territory could not deter the resistance. The slogans and flags soon returned.


On January 5, 1988, "demonstrations broke out to protest the Israeli government decision to expel nine Palestinians from their homes in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

"Two more Palestinians were killed and seven others sustained wounds in Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip during a massive demonstration which erupted in the city. One of the new victims of Israeli violence who was killed by the Israeli occupation army was Atef Mohamed Dahlan, age 25.

"News sources from Jerusalem reported violent clashes and confrontations between Israeli soldiers and Birzeit university students who were conducting a demonstration on the university campus, where the Israeli army is imposing a military siege. Demonstrators blocked the entrances to the university with barricades and burning tires and raised the Palestinian flags.

"In Jerusalem, demonstrations broke out in the streets of the old city. Palestinian flags were raised on buildings. Streets were blocked with barricades and burning tires.

"In Qalandia camp, demonstrators violently engaged the Israeli army and threw stones at their vehicles. The Israeli army closed the entrances to the camp and prevented media representatives from entering it.

"In Rafah, a general commercial strike was declared and paralyzed all walks of life. Students went on demonstrating, while the Israeli army fired bullets at citizens and tossed tear gas canisters.

"In Khan Yunis, where the Israeli army killed two Palestinians, violent demonstrations broke out, and tires were set afire. Streets were closed and Palestinian flags were raised on buildings. The city was covered with a massive demonstration, schools were kept shut, and no transportation was seen to be moving. Israeli military authorities declared Nasser Hospital in the city to be a military zone, where people were not allowed to enter.'' (44)


"Rabeh Mahmoud, 16, was shot dead on January 11, when the head of the Ofra settlement and its security officer opened fire on youths in the village of Betin after they were stoned and were passing by the area. Ziad Abd El Jalil was injured in the incident and taken to Ramallah hospital.

"General Amiram Mitsna affirmed that the incident took place in the village'of Betin, near Ramallah, and said that the settlers' car fell in an ambush prepared by the demonstrators. A 15 year old eye witness, however, told the Associated Press that four settlers had opened fire and no stones had been thrown.

"A settler from Ofra settlement told AP that they had orders not to leave the settlement for fear of confrontations with Palestinian demonstrators. Radio Israel said that the settlers chased the demonstrators and shot at them."


Also on January 11, "Another Palestinian youth was killed in Khan Yunis when an Israeli soldier opened fire at a number of youths. An Israeli military spokesman claimed that youths attacked a soldier, trying to grab his machine gun, and that he opened fire, wounding a number of youths and killing Ata Khadeir, 25. Mohammad Fayad died of wounds he sustained on December 18. He was buried on January 11 and only ten family members were allowed to attend the funeral.

"In Rafah, Dasel Al Yzouri, 21, died of wounds he sustained on January 9. He was being treated in Barzelai hospital in Asqalan. All cities, villages, and camps in the Gaza Strip witnessed general strikes and demonstrations."


"Curfews were imposed on Nusseirat and Breij Refugee Camps, on Khan Yunis, Jabalia and the Beach camps. East Jerusalem also witnessed a number of incidents on January 11. Israeli police used tear gas to disperse demonstrators. In Anata, Israeli soldiers and border-guards dispersed demonstrators and broke into a number of houses. Kalandia camp area was declared a closed military area following demonstrations in which children, youths, and women participated. Israeli army forces dispersed them using tear gas and rubber bullets.

"Demonstrations had broken out in Kalandia camp when four Israeli civil vehicles entered the camp at 4.30 on the morning of January 10. Settlers opened fire and prevented people from reaching the mosque to perform morning prayers.

"A curfew was imposed on Ein Bet Elma camp near Nablus following demonstrations there. Another curfew was also imposed on Balata refugee camp. A general strike was observed in Nablus and scattered stone throwing incidents were reported. In Qalqilya the strike continues for the 8th consecutive day. Five shops were welded closed but reopened a few hours later. In Hebron and Bethlehem too, a general strike was observed, and shopkeepers did not obey Israeli army calls for them to open their shops. A number of shops were welded closed in both cities." (45)

The Intifada's magnitude completely decimated the Zionists' arguments about the benign nature of their occupation. Even Israeli soldiers began to object to serving in the occupied territories. On January 11, "an Israeli military court sentenced an Israeli soldier to 28 days of imprisonment for refusing to participate in Israeli police actions in East Jerusalem. He was the second soldier to voice such a refusal." (46)


The Palestinians living in Israel began to raise their heads after forty years of mere existence under the Zionist knout. In Nazareth Israeli police arrested Nadheer Majalli, Editor of the Arabic language newspaper Al Ittihad. On January 12th the newspaper responded aggressively:

"It will do no harm if officials remember that while the state of Israel celebrates its 40th anniversary, we in Al Ittihad celebrate our 45th .... It is no longer possible to hide the extent and depth of the more than one month old Uprising in the occupied territories ... Caesar Rabin himself had to admit that it had exceeded their own accounts..,. It is political adultery for these losers to believe that they can force us to give up our legitimate rights after forty years spent in their prisons and suffering from their harsh policies." (47)


Also on January 12 "another martyr was added to the growing list of courageous Palestinians who gave up their lives in the Intifada. A Rafah resident, Mohamad Yusef Yzouri, was shot dead when Israeli soldiers opened fire at demonstrators in the town. About twenty other people were injured.

"A food shortage is beginning to find its way into the camps of the Gaza Strip. On January 12, residents of Rafah and Deir Al Balah camp sent S.O.S. messages. At the same time the Israeli authorities cut off the telephone lines in some areas to prevent journalists from getting in touch with the people there."

The cutting off of telephone communications of news reporters had been a notoriously favored tactic of Nazi Germany's Dr. Goebbels' propaganda ministry, as a means of preventing objective news reporting. The Zionists' attempts to suppress the Intifada, and news about the Palestinian Resistance, resembled more and more every day the Nazi occupation of Europe during World War 11.

"Radio Israel said that a general commercial strike was observed throughout the West Bank. In East Jerusalem the strike was in its sixth consecutive day. Taxi and bus services were also out of action. Stone-throwing incidents were reported in Silwan and Jabal Al Mukaber and soldiers used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators. A curfew was imposed on both new and old Askar camps as well as on Ein Bet El Ma' camp following demonstrations.

"In the village of Ein Yabroud, near Ramallah, a youth was injured as soldiers opened fire at the village residents who demonstrated in protest of the killing of Rabeh Mahmoud on January 11 by Israeli settlers. A curfew was also imposed on Jalazoun and Al Ama'ri camps and in the old city of Nablus following demonstrations there.


"The Israeli authorities demolished 12 houses in Nusseirat camp in the Gaza strip, claiming that these houses interfered with the soldiers when entering the camp." (48)


"Ibrahim Mahmoud Abu Nabel, age 31, was killed by Israeli Army bullets in the Gaza Strip on January 15, 1988. He was shot during the quelling of a protest demonstration in the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of the city of Gaza. "Another Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli army bullets in a village near Bethlehem.

"More than 100 citizens were admitted to Al Makasid Al Khairieh Hospital in Jerusalem after they were suffering from suffocation as a result of the dropping of tear gas canisters on demonstrators who marched near Al Aqsa Mosque. Some of these people suffered broken limbs after they were beaten with sticks by Israeli soldiers." (49)


Harassment of the Palestinian Press intensified:

"Reports indicated that Israel detained five Palestinian journalists. It freed two of them after they were interrogated. They were charged with participating in meetings to incite people. These journalists were Ibrahim Kara'een, managing editor of Al Awdah magazine and Palestine Press Service, and Hanna Siniora, editor of Al Fajr newspaper.

"Israeli authorities continued their detention of three other Palestinian journalists. They were Salah Zahaika, editor of Al-Sha'ab newspaper, Mohamed Zahaika, editor of Al Fajr newspaper, and Abdul Latif Ghaith, former editor of Al Fajr." (50)


"On January 15, 1988 residents of Jabaliya camp found the bullet ridden body of a 14-year-old boy. The corpse had been dumped in one of the alleys of the camp." (51)


Despite the attempts by the Zionists to conceal their heinous suppression of Palestinian demonstrators near Al Aqsa Mosque, on Friday, January 15, the Islamic High Commission in Jerusalem issued a statement charging:

"That the Israeli army committed a premeditated attack on Friday, January 15, against worshippers in Al Aqsa Mosque and prevented journalists from covering their heinous crimes, which included shooting live ammunition, throwing tear gas bombs inside the Mosque which caused the suffocation of many worshippers, and the burning of some of the valuable contents of Al Aqsa Mosque. The Commission also complained about the attacks by Israeli soldiers on children and women, many of whom sustained serious wounds. Israeli soldiers also prevented the ambulances from fulfilling their human mission to transfer the wounded to hospitals for treatment.

"The Islamic High Commission condemned in the strongest language Israeli arbitrary practices, and appealed to world public opinion to intercede and stop the acts of murder against the Palestinians." (52)


Behind closed doors, unspeakable acts of torture were committed against Palestinian detainees. "On January 18 three detainees from Al Thaheriya detention center were removed to the Hebron Government Hospital after receiving broken limbs under torture in the jail, which was set up to house hundreds of young Palestinian detainees.

"On the same day, out in the open, Miriam Jaradat, the 37 year-old mother of four children, from Saer near Hebron, was attacked and brutally beaten by Israeli soldiers. She sustained head wounds." (53)


The magnitude of the Intifada caused panic-inspired methods by the Zionist occupiers. On January 19, in Gaza, draconian sentences of four months in jail were imposed on 31 Palestinian young men charged with participating in protest marches.

"In Beit Hanon village in the Gaza Strip Israeli bulldozers demolished 8 acres of citrus groves. The Israelis' excuse was that demonstrators had used these groves to demonstrate and throw stones and rocks. The Israeli army closed the entrances to the village with sand bags.

"In Nablus a medical source in the Womens Union Hospital said that on January 18 more surgery was performed on 20 year old Badie Al Afouri, who had been wounded the previous week with bullets in his chest and lungs. Also in Nablus, fire broke out in the house of Khalil Nabat after Israeli army bullets which were shot at his house ignited the propane gas container, causing it to explode.

"Sabiba Darwish Hashash, 21, from Balata camp died on January 18. She suffered from wounds that she received from Israeli army bullets two weeks before. Israeli authorities refused to hand over the body to her relatives. News from Balata also reported that a 4 year old child, Mohamad Abu Salim, was shot by rubber bullets in the head and that he was in serious condition.

"The Israeli army detained over 200 youths from Qalqilya. Their ages vary between 16-20. They were all held in the Border Guard headquarters in the city.

"In the town of Yaebed, near Jenin, three citizens were injured after the Israeli army forced their way into their houses. They were admitted to Jenin hospital for treatment." (54)


The Zionists themselves, beginning to realize the effect of the Intifada, were becoming confused. Admissions followed admissions by the Zionists:

On January 19, 1988 "Moshe Amirav, a member of the Central Committee of the Herut Party, accused Yitzhak Shamir, so-called Prime Minister, and Ariel Sharon, so-called Minister of Commerce, both leaders of the right-wing party. that they were dragging the Herut Party towards the side of the extreme right and claimed that there were terroristic practices inside the party itself. He added that anyone who calls for peace inside the party is automatically labeled as being a collaborator with the PLO.

"Menahem Maron, Director General of the Israeli Defense Ministry, said that he believes that the demonstrations in the occupied territories shouldnot bedealt with by using the axe.

"Ariyah Bekel, spokesman for the Israeli Ministry of Labor, said that the curfew imposed by the Israeli army on the Gaza Strip prevented work by more than 60% of the labor force in Israeli factories.

"Rafi Eitan, the former advisor on terrorism to the Israeli Prime Minister, said in an interview on Israeli television that the current conditions in the occupied territories resemble the beginning of the Algerian revolution." (55)

January 22, 1988 was Martyr's Day in occupied Palestine, commemorating all who had been killed by the Zionists. "Martyr's Prayers were scheduled at noon in all of the Mosques in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, and especially at Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.


"Putting in action instructions given by Defense Minister Yitzhak Rabin, on the night of January 21st Israelis raided tens of houses and beat up all the members of the families resident in those houses whom they could find. In Al Ram soldiers entered a bathroom where a woman was taking a bath to see if she had hidden a youth for whom they were searching. "Also on January 21, tens of soldiers raided Shufat camp disguised in civilian clothes and carrying wooden bats. They were escorted by border guards.

"After leading everybody out of their houses, they asked them to clean the streets of stones. As a bus was passing by going to Anata village, they stopped it and forced the passengers to participate in cleaning the streets. Eyewitnesses said the people were insulted and humiliated.

"Yahia Abu Kharoob, 17, from Shufat camp, underwent surgery to take out blood clots from his head caused by Israeli soldiers using clubs.

"In the villages of Anata and Al Ram many cases of injuries and fractures were reported. Sa'adi Jweiles, from Al Ram, related the way his son, Khador, 15, was attacked by soldiers:

'He said that they arrested him at his house and took him to the main Jerusalem-Ramallah road, where they beat him and blindfolded him. Later he found himself on the road to Latrun, unable to move, suffering from the beating. Passersby brought him back to Al Ram where his father took him to the hospital. Other cases were reported where soldiers arrested youths, beat them, and left them in the mountains.

"Residents of Kufr Al Dir village, near Nablus, related that settlers raided their houses and destroyed their furniture under the protection of Israeli soldiers." (56)

Following these brutal actions by the Zionists on the Eve of the Palestinian Day of the Martyrs, Shimon Peres, so-called Foreign Minister of Israel, opened his election campaign by hypocritically saying that "the Israeli elector should put in his mind the image of a Jewish state which does not rule another people." (57)


The real meaning of Peres' honeyed words was revealed by the revelation in Haaretz newspaper the previous day that his party colleague, Yitshak Rabin, "intends for the Israeli army to intensify the use of violence and body-beating, which is exemplified by the breaking of limbs, in order to quell the demonstrations." (58)

Throughout the Eve of Martyr's Day Rabin's edict was brutally carried out.

"News accounts from Gaza reported that the Israeli army attacked a group of citizens during the forceful invasion of houses in Al Shati camp. Eyewitnesses said that the Israeli army arrested 28 year old Mohamad Al Jakson, and after they had beaten him severely, he was put under a jeep which was driven over his body. Then he was dragged to the sea. where Israeli soldiers forced him to dnnk a huge amount of salt water. Also 55 year old Zakia Saleem and Shaaban Al Wakil, age 40, sustained broken arms.

"In Al Nasselrat camp tens of Palestinians received serious wounds as a result of their being beaten by Israeli soldiers, among them a 15 year old youth, Ashraf Mahadi.

"In Al Amaafi camp near Ramallah a 9 year old child, Shirin Abu Arab, as well as five more Palestinians, sustained injuries. Three residents from Jalazoun camp all sustained broken limbs. Six residents from Qabatia, near Jenin, among them 55 year old Fatimah Abu Al Rabb, received limb injuries.

"In Kufr Al Deik village, near Nablus, Jewish settlers from 'Alei Zahav' settlement attacked the houses in the village and beat the residents, wounding at least ten of them.

"In Qalqilya, a 35 year-old woman, Shahira Inabi, aborted her fetus as a result of the suffocating tear gas which was discharged at her house two days before. (59)

"In Essawaieh village, near Jerusalem, an Israeli settler's car knocked over a youth, Mundher Attiyeh, age 15. He was then taken to Hadassah hospital where his condition was unknown, since his family was not allowed to see him." The Zionists "also beat up the residents of the village, among them a 37 year-old woman, RassimaMustafa, who was taken to the hospital suffering from injuries to the head as a result of a beating with the butt of a gun.

"In Dharieh village, near Hebron, Suad Aqel, 25, was injured in the hand by a bullet when soldiers opened fire to disperse demonstrators. Similar clashes occurred in the villages of Sair, Choyouch, Qabatia, Sanour, and Burkain. Ya'bad Bashar Ali, from Sanour, was injured by a bullet in the leg. Soldiers isolated the village in addition to two other villages (Arrab and Qabatia) and then raided the houses, beat up the residents, smashed the cars, destroyed the furniture and brought down a Palestinian flag.

"The Israeli radio reported the injury of a youth by a bullet in the village of Ras Karkar. Reports said that three people were injured in Al Amari camp and that acurfew was imposed on the villages of Deir Amar, and Ein Yabroud.

"Reports from Gaza said that huge numbers of soldiers were brought to the center of the city of Gaza where they started forcing the shops open by tying the doors up to the jeeps and pulling them down.

"Soldiers were present all day in front of the shops to prevent them from closing again. The Israeli soldiers also raided several national institutions in Gaza, including the Red Crescent, the Palestinian Women's Union and the Medical Association." (60)

Thus was the policy of "force and beating" as Yitshak Rabin called the suppression of the Palestinian Intifada carried out on the Eve of the Palestinian Martyr's Day. But force and beatings could not deter Palestinian worshippers and demonstrators from honoring their martyrs. Brutality could not destroy the Intifada.


The Zionists, shamefully using U.S. made tear gas, yet too haughty to learn safety precautions or to follow instructions in their use, shamelessly used tear gas against pregnant Palestinian women, resulting in many abortions.

The Zionist rank and file welcomed the abortion of every Palestinian unborn child, as Golda Meir had once said that she shuddered at the birth of every Palestinian baby.

Following is a list of Palestinian women, as of January 25, 1988, who were forced to abort because of the use of U.S. manufactured tear gas, with the circumstances of the abortions (61):




Causes of Abortion

Amal Ammar


Al Breij

Birth of a complete girl as a result of gas. 9 months.

Miriam Ashour


Beit Lania

Birth of dead boy inside the womb caused by gas. 9 months.

Yusra Hussein



Twin girls dead in the womb. 9 months.

Faizeh Al Aziz



Birth of incomplete girl. 5months.

Soad Al Hibeil


Al Nasr

Caesarian section for dead boy in the womb. 7 months.

Salwa Ahmed


Beit Hanoun

Birth of dead girl. 8 months.

Sarah Abu Rabei


Beit Lahia

Birth of twin girls incomplete. 7 months.

Almaza Mohammed Dagmash


Al Tofaah

Complete miscarriage. 5 months.

Sabah Ahmad Rabie


Al Shati

Birth of a fatigued boy - sent to incubator.

Latifa Mohammed El Sharif


Sheikh Radwan

Caesarian section for dead boy - 9 months.

Fatima Abu Al Eish



Birth of dead boy in the womb - 8 months.

Issaf Adel Kheil


Gaza Rimal

Birth of dead boy in womb - 9 months.

Jamileh Jumaa Arouk


Al Nasr

Complete miscarriage. 5 months boy.

Khitam Mahmoud Al Dalew


Al Nasr

Birth of complete 9 month dead girl in womb.

Khittam Shaalam



Birth of fatigued boy because of beating. 9 months.

Souad Al Halabi



Aborting 6 month dead boy because of gas.

Ghuneimeh Ahram



Birth of dead 7 month boy.

Samira Areif



Birth of dead boy. 9 months.

Inshira Al Mitras



Birth of fatigued 7 months boy.

Dunya Al Zaanin


Beit Hanon

Birth of 9 month dead boy.





Sabera Abu Ablee



Aborting 5 month old boy.

Firyal Al Gofari



Aborted a live boy who died after 2 hours. 5 months.

Aysheh Abu Samaan


Gaza Shati

Aborted. 4 months.

Sabah Al Omari



Bleeding in the womb after beating. 8 months.

Tahani Abed Rabbo



Bleeding and abortion inside womb - 7 months.


"On January 26, 1988 three Palestinian youths from the town of Silwad, Rajeh Hamad, age 32, Ziyad Hamad, age 25, and Ahmad Hamad, age 21, had been subjected to severe beatings all night long by tens of Israeli soldiers who had broken into their home an hour after midnight.

"The three were first taken to Beit Eil Clinic because of the severity of their beatings. At the Jewish clinic they were again beaten by Israeli nurses who refused to assist them for more than two hours.

"The Israeli army then took them to Ramallah jail where they were held outside in the cold in the jail courtyard until morning. Only then were they allowed to go to Ramallah Hospital.

"On the same day Israeli soldiers arrested four Palestinian youths from Beir Oun village in the Ramallah district who were being treated in the hospital after receiving several broken limbs." (62)


"Also on January 26, in the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza Strip, Israeli soldiers broke into scores of houses, attacking their residents. At least seven Palestinians were injured, including Ahmad Abu Eideh, age 4, and Mohamad Roweished, age 10. Mahmoud Alyan, a 60 year old cancer patient from Jabalia, was in a coma in the hospital after being beaten by Israeli soldiers." (63)


Zionist soldiers attacked houses in Shufat camp, north of Jerusalem, beating up their residents, breaking up their furniture and even throwing out any food they found. They did the same at Saeir village near Hebron, causing more broken arms and legs. (64)


According to the Hebrew newspaper Yediot Ahronot of January 26, 1988 the Zionists were preparing to escalate their way of broken bones and broken furniture against the Palestinian population: "The Israeli Defense Ministry ordered tens of thousands of clubs and sticks from the lumber and wood factory, Shmaryahu in Tel Aviv. (65)


On January 26, Zionist member of the Knesset "Haika Grossman of the Mapam Party called the behavior of Israeli soldiers awful and called on them not to obey immoral orders they receive for the use of violence against Palestinians under occupation." (66)


'Ezra Yaniv, a Maariv correspondent, reported in that Hebrew newspaper on January 26, 1988 that 3,000 Palestinian youths were being detained in Ansar 2 detention camp and that Israeli soldiers had broken the skulls of a ten year old boy and an eighty year old man." (67)


On January 26th, the Jerusalem Post reported that Professor David Kritz, of the law faculty of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, had warned the Israeli General Staff that Defense Minister Rabin's policy of beating is not legal and anyone who orders the use of the stick and anyone who implements the order are subject to legal proceedings." (68)

Although even Zionist professors of law recognized the illegality of the Rabin policy of beating under international law, that did not deter the undisciplined Israeli soldiers and their commanders from undertaking an orgy of criminal activity designed to suppress the Intifada.


On January 27, 1988 Israeli soldiers went on a suppression campaign in Al Ourob refugee camp near Hebron, where 5,000 refugees live. Israeli soldiers and settlers attacked the houses which resulted in the wounding of scores of children and women who sustained broken limbs and other wounds.

"Mrs. Hikmat Fdeilat, a camp resident, relayed how soldiers hit her with clubs and sticks in her face until she fainted, and when her daughter Bothayna came to her rescue, one Israeli soldier shot bullets at her feet and hit her with two bullets. After that, the rest of the Israeli soldiers demolished the house's furniture.

"Israeli soldiers arrested Fatima Al Gawabreh after they beat her severely when she returned with her father from the camp's clinic.

"Soldiers burst into the houses of Khader Abdul Aati, Jaber Al Titi and Arabi Al Titi anddestroyed all food supplies, broke the furniture in these houses, demolished television sets and hit the occupants, including children.


"Ismail Shaufout was hit with a rubber bullet in his face which was fired at him by Israeli soldiers when he opened the door of his house so he could have a look at the soldiers who were attacking children and women without mercy. Israeli soldiers choked and caused the death by suffocation of a cat in the house courtyard and killed 11 rabbits which belonged to the family in the most sadistic manner." (69)

This proves that the Zionist storm troopers have such hatred against their Palestinian victims that it extends to the pets of Palestinian households.


On January 27, "news sources reported that the Israeli army was escalating its methods of torture of Palestinian detainees held in Al Faraa military jail, located 15 kilometers from Nablus. This escalation caused the admission to the hospital of detainee Ahmad Aridi, age 30, a lawyer from Arrabeh, located to the southeast of Jenin. He was subjected to severe torture, although he suffered from pains in the chest and had high blood pressure. Eight detainees from Kufur Qalil and Askar camp received broken bones after they were beaten severely ." (70)


Zionist hatred against everything Palestinian was also shown when "Israeli soldiers burst into Banat Al Durg Preparatory School in Gaza and used tear gas and rubber bullets against the school girls, scores of whom were attacked and beaten." (71)

Religious shrines were not exempt from Zionist brutality. "On January 27 in Hebron Israeli soldiers attacked and wounded two guards who were protecting the Holy Shrine of Ibrahim." (72)


When evil was not being perpetrated by the illegal action of Israeli soldiers, it was being perpetrated by fanatic Zionist settlers. The Israeli newspaper Al Hamishar reported on January 27 that "a settler had set fire to five houses in Nablus, damaging them. and on the same day settlers beat up a Palestinian demonstrator." (73)

But all of the Zionists' fury could not end the defiance of the Palestinian population. The Intifada continued. "In Jalazoun Palestinians threw stones, rocks and bricks at an Israeli military patrol. As a result the soldiers fired rubber bullets, injuring at least one woman." (74)


The Zionists realized that the Intafada would not end and that their army was daily violating international law in the occupied territories. "In an interview on Israeli TV on January 27, Tel Aviv University Professor of international law, Yoram Denstrein, admitted that Israel cannot ignore UN resolutions forever and that Israeli actions in the occupied territories contradict the 1949 Geneva Convention." (75)

The continued seething in the Palestinian territories showed their assertion of sovereignty, despite Zionist oppression. On January 28, it was reported concerning the town of Saier, which had been under military siege for more than a week, that more "than 300 soldiers burst into the town on January 27 at 6:00 a.m. and used bulldozers to remove barricades. They also gathered the citizens of Saier, ages 15-40, in the town square, and attacked some of them and beat them so that several citizens received injuries. Among them was Ismail Al Motawar, 50 years old. The Israeli army arrested 13 Palestinian youths.

"In Gaza 20 residents of Nusseirat, Jabalia, and Al Breij refugee camps received several fractures, wounds from bullets, and gas suffocation. They were admitted to the hospital for treatment after they were attacked by the Israeli army while they were inside their homes. Among those injured were seven year old child Sameh Abu Ajweh, Ibrahim Abu Sharar, age 56, and Fatim Al Burjar, a 14 year old girl.


Go to part 3


Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem
By Issa Nakhleh

Return to Table of Contents